Sharing - Toddler Silently Strangles on Window Blind Cord While Family Play

~ Posted on Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 10:53 AM ~

I came across this article which I must definitely share with you guys as I'm very interested to know your thoughts on this. For your convenience, I have copied the excerpts from the article here:

Toddler Silently Strangles on Window Blind Cord While Family Play

This awful picture shows the wounds a toddler suffered after silently strangling on a window blind cord. Gavin Walla, from Wisconsin, US, can be seen in the horrifying home video hanging limply from the looped window blind cord, which is wrapped around his neck. This image, which will sicken parents, was taken shortly after the attack and shows the boy, now 17, with burst blood vessels around his eyes and a livid red welt around his neck.

Gavin's mother was filming a home video of her children playing together in their front room when she suddenly notices the toddler has stopped breathing. Immediately, she drops the camera, screaming her son's name as she desperately tries to untangle the cord.

Toddler Silently Strangles on Window Blind Cord While Family Play

Thankfully, her quick actions saved Gavin's life and he's heard in the video coughing and spluttering as he gasps for breath. She told ABC: "He doesn't seem to remember it and it doesn't seem to have caused any permanent damage."

Gavin wants people to see his home video in the hope of raising awareness about the very real dangers of window blind cords. (** Click on picture below to view YouTube video)

Toddler Silently Strangles on Window Blind Cord While Family Play

He told ABC News: "I'm glad that it's out there. It saved the lives of other children that have been fortunate enough to have parents who have seen the video."

It is thought more than 100 children have died in window blind cord accidents since Gavin's. Elliot Kaye, chairman of the Consumer Product Safety Commission told ABC: "I see decades, and I'm talking decades, about children once a month getting hanged to death by these products and it's got to stop."

 The government first identify the window blinds as a hidden danger over 30 years ago. But the cords remain a potentially deadly hazard to this day with many manufacturers still using them on many of their products. IKEA and Target have already removed corded window blinds from their shelves due to safety concerns. Walmart and several other stores have announced they will stop selling the products by 2018.

Ralph Vasami, the head of the Window Covering Association, an industry trade group, admitted that the hazard is still present but has been reduced by new safety features including breakaway cords and string that can be tied at a height children can't reach. They however do not recommend that corded window blinds should be used in homes with children.

** Note: I have disabled the commenting feature on my blog engine thanks to all the spammers who happily spam my blog every day. If you wish to ask me any questions, you can find me at my Facebook page (I'm there almost everyday) or just drop me an email if you wish to maintain some anonymity.

Comments are closed