I will be sharing some personal tips and tutorials on how I secure my personal Facebook page - as and when I came across any settings to edit I will share it here for your reference and hope you will be able to apply it to your profile as well.
How do I define a profile on FB as secure? When you view a profile, you can only see the least possible info, status updates on timeline and pictures shared on your profile.
For example, if you view my personal FB profile you can only see my current profile picture and current cover photo, that too I put the same pictures as what I put on my FB fan page. Also, you won't be able to see any status updates postings on my timeline except my life events that I chose to share in public such as the time when my fan page reached 100K followers, or when I was born. That's all an outsider who is not in my FB friend list can view if they are able to search up my profile or clicked into my profile when I commented or liked a posting on FB.
Now back to securing the pictures posted on YOUR FB profile. There are a few pictures setting you need to be aware of:
* Your profile picture - Your profile picture is set to public
* Your cover photo - Your cover photo is set to public
* Your pictures / albums shared in your profile - You are able to control the settings of pictures and/or albums in your profile. You will need to individually go into the picture or the album and edit the settings.
The screenshot below is taken from one of my photo album privacy settings. I set it to only Friends on my FB profile are allowed to view the pictures in the album. I also unchecked the setting where friends of those I tagged are not allow to view the pictures, so for example if I tagged my hubby in the pictures, his friends will not be able to see the picture unless they are on my FB list as well. If you see the screenshot below, you will see I have also excluded a person from being able to view my pictures.
Some other things to consider when it comes to pictures privacy:
* I would suggest that you do not post any picture that might reveal too much information of your whereabouts and family members. Some of us parents adore our kiddos to death so we tend to post pictures of them. I'm not saying posting pictures of our kiddos is wrong, but make sure you crop off or blur off things like your house number, car plate number, school uniform badge, etc.
* As much as you want to protect your family members, do be considerate as well if you are posting picture which can show other people in it as well. Class pictures, parties etc - if possible, blur out other people faces or seek for permission before you post them up.
* You will also need to be on guard, as friends/family members on FB will be happily posting pictures of your kiddos as well. If you find it intrudes your privacy and safety, quickly informed them to take down the picture or best is make sure you informed your family members not to simply share pictures of your kiddos/family members/whereabouts without your permission.
* Tagging / tagged. Again, I will not advice doing this unless you have the permission to tag someone. If you are being tagged, you can go to the picture and under the option, remove your name from being tagged.
I hope I covered enough info for the pictures settings for now. Let me know if I missed anything!
** Note: I have disabled the commenting feature on my blog engine thanks to all the spammers who happily spam my blog every day. If you wish to ask me any questions, you can find me at my Facebook page (I'm there almost everyday) or just drop me an email if you wish to maintain some anonymity.